HitTracker - Search contact person
Music Business Cards
Interview with BUSBEE, songwriter for Rascal Flatts, Katy Perry, Timbaland, Lady Antebellum - Apr 4, 2011
“Having strong relationships with the [performance rights organisations] is paramount. I always suggest that writers start with the PROs - they know everybody.”
In this ultra competitive industry, the successful modern songwriter is expected to be ultra versatile, able to turn a hand to any chart-friendly genre and produce readymade pop hits from out of their living room. A fitting poster boy for this new breed of artisan is busbee, having notched up a country #1 with Lady Antebellum, a UK Top 3 dance-pop hit with Katy Perry and Timbaland, as well as being a production wiz able to create major label songs on a laptop at home.
The L.A.-based songsmith talks to HitQuarters about whether songwriters should acquire production skills, their role in developing performing artists, and the value of performing rights organisations to unsigned writers.
Click here to read more
Read On ...
* busbee publisher and renowned songwriter Billy Mann on the songwriter reading list
* Rascal Flatts/Kenny Chesney publisher Troy Tomlinson on strong pitching
* Jeff Kempler on the real story behind the signing of Katy Perry
* Songwriter Stephanie Salzman on looking after your own publishing
* Flying Without Wings writer, Wayne Hector, on writing the perfect ballad
Songwriters & Publishers!